Restorations: Implants, Bridge, Dentures, Root Canals, Fillings
Restoring your beautiful smile!
Preventative measures will always need to be part of a general oral health plan. In circumstances where damage has already been done however, more intensive procedures may be needed to bring teeth back to their healthy appearance and function. Our staff will keep you informed on the options that will relieve pain, repair damage, improve your bite and get you back to normal function and appearance.
- Implants: Dental implants are used to replace teeth that have been lost. Through a surgical procedure, these artificial roots and teeth are placed directly into the bone. Implants replace teeth, but also relieve pain, restore chewing ability and improve facial tissues in the process. They are natural looking, secure and durable, lasting for years to come.Implants require a process that can take a series of months to complete. After being placed into the bone by an oral surgeon, the implants must be given several months to heal and form into the bone. For proper fitting of the implant restorations, several fittings and adjustments may be needed at our office. Maintenance of your new implants is up to you; following directions and forming good habits for proper care will get you the longest wear out of them.
- Bridges: Another way to replace lost teeth is a bridge consisting of multiple crowns spanning across the missing teeth. This permanent fixture is typically made of porcelain on top of metal that fits over existing teeth. Bridges are the solution to many of the same issues that implants are used for, and another option for patients, depending on their particular needs and circumstances.A few different appointments are usually needed for adjustments and fittings, and a final appointment to have the bridge fixed permanently. A bridge can last for years with proper care.
- Dentures: Dentures are a removable option to replace missing teeth. They can be full appliances or partial. Natural, existing teeth may need to be prepared for dentures to fit properly. Sometimes having to be first removed and given a chance to heal before new dentures are placed. Immediate dentures are available before a Complete Set is made after the healing phase and are prepared in advance and immediately put in once the teeth are removed. However, adjustments for comfort and fit may need to be made once healing takes place, again possibly taking several appointments.After proper fit has been achieved, dentures may take some getting used to, but over time a patient’s smile is enhanced with easy-to-care for dentures.
- Root Canals: A root canal may be needed to relieve severe pain or sensitivity being caused due to intense decay which has reached down into the root. Many times an infection is present. The affected tissue needs to be removed, and the nerve canal reshaped and filled with a special material and finally sealed to help prevent future infection. A root canalled tooth requires a protective crown after the core of the tooth has been exposed.
- White Fillings: Back in the day, silver or gold fillings were used. Now we know that Composite can be used, which is made of quartz resin, which is white and more natural looking. The fillings are used to fix teeth that have been damaged by decay and/or fractures. The impaired portion of the tooth will be removed and that portion will be replaced with composite filling. They are attractive since they match existing teeth and will last for years to come.Fillings can be done during one appointment and anesthesia is necessary in order to allow the dentist to remove decay and apply medication to further protect nerve endings. The filling is shaped and smoothed to ensure the tooth maintains its authentic look and feel. Patients should be prepared to notice some temporary temperature sensitivity for a period of time after fillings are done.
Don’t wait any longer. Call today for an appointment and get closer to a healthy, beautiful smile!
Plattsburgh NY 12901